Sunday, May 30, 2010

"I don like no cheap cuhstahmahs"

One of the best shopping days of my life! Lauren and I exercised a great deal of restraint, but cute things and fantastic deals just kept coming...

I got my first dose of New Yorker attitude (people have otherwise been so sweet, counter to the stereotype) this morning at this giant antiques/flea market somewhere Downtown. When I tried my hand at bartering, I got pummeled with "I don like no cheap cuhstahmahs" and a list of designers (some of whom have been long dead) who supposedly hail her as The Vintage Source. Lady, I don't think they would appreciate your selling fakes of their bags.
There was this gorgeous boxy Anne Klein purse in burnt orange. It resembled a camera case, actually. But alas! - overpriced.

Anyways, don't you love this book cover? My little brother used to watch Dumbo every day as a toddler. That drunk scene is so awesome. Come to think of it, Ratatouille must have gotten their fireworks tidbit from that, hm?

Alcoholism, Kessel and Walton

And on wishlist!:
 

Penguin by Design, Phil Baines, £25.00

"Ever since the creation of the first Penguin paperbacks in 1935, their jackets have become a constantly evolving part of Britain's culture and design history. Rich with stunning illustrations and filled with detail of individual titles, designers and even the changing size and shape of the Penguin logo itself, this book shows how covers become design classics. 
By looking back at seventy years of Penguin paperbacks, Phil Baines charts the development of British publishing, book-cover design and the role of artists and designers in creating and defining the Penguin look...
Filled with inspiring images, Penguin by Design demonstrates just how difficult it is not to judge a book by its cover." Penguin synopsis
True dat!

2 comments:

C. C. Mock said...

I guess you didn't get anything then? You are CHEAP. The vendor was 100% correctto

mockumentary said...

Wuhevuh I spent more money today that I'd like to admit. Her price was out of any sensible person's range. Not to say that I am not a cheapo.