Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Tribute to My Friend Dwight


Here are my life experiences with beets.

When I want to eat some beets, I go to the Health Food Store next to work in North Beach, buy several ounces, and gorge with avocado and Goddess Dressing.

When I want to hear the voice of someone who has an intimate relationship with beets, I watch The Office reruns.

When I want to eat a delicious by-product of beta vulgaris, I choose dining halls that have swiss chard (which apparently, like kale, make really yumbos chips!).


When I want to listen to some mad good beats, my housemates and I bob along to Rapper's Delight or Afro Man.

And from the NY Times:
"WASHINGTON — On Friday, Michelle Obama will begin digging up a patch of White House lawn to plant a vegetable garden, the first since Eleanor Roosevelt’s victory garden in World War II. There will be no beets (the president doesn’t like them) but arugula will make the cut."

WHAT. Why does President Obama love arugula but not beets? They exist simultaneously. In modal logic, there could only ever be a double arrow between the two. Questionable practices!!
Michelle Obama cites raising awareness for childhood obesity as a primary reason for this victory garden of sorts. Never anything for beets awareness, obviously.

Beets photo from Tiny Farm Blog.

1 comment:

Connie said...

beets and avocado? gotta try it.