Saturday, December 19, 2009

namby-pamby

I have this thing: I force myself to use a word of the day for the day on which a paper is due. And since I work better under pressure (read: am always rushing to squeeze out another page 30 minutes to the deadline), I am usually quite glad for any word to grace a blank page.

But sometimes, the words of the day are made up by poets for sing-song works:

namby-pamby \nam-bee-PAM-bee\ (adjective)
1. lacking in character or substance : insipid
2. weak, indecisive


Oh noes. And yet, I still did it:
Advocates of expansive Supreme Court powers object to Burns' idea of judicial review as "the power of judicial emasculation of legislation," citing its use as an institutional protection against namby-pamby state and federal legislatures.

Apparently, I am really good at bullying myself.

No comments: